04 Nov How Ecclesfield School makes careers guidance engaging, relevant and impactful
Like any careers adviser, Lesley Cassell of Ecclesfield School strives to make careers guidance relevant, engaging and impactful, while facing the challenges of limited time, access to facilities and budget.
Thankfully, our careers guidance software, Start, has enabled her to create a strategy that ticks all of those boxes.
Ecclesfield School’s 5 Point Plan for Careers Success:
1. Students take ownership of their profile on Start by regularly updating their skills, qualities, interests and work preferences. Read one of Lesley’s regular reminder emails to her students here.
2. This helps to make the information more relevant to the student as they explore the labour market and start making decisions about what and where to study.
3. Using Track – an optional reporting package – the school then uses the student profile and aspiration data in Start around skills, jobs, qualifications and destinations to inform engagement with employers, FE and HE providers.
4. This ensures that their students are involved in the activities most relevant to them; for example identifying aspiring medics in order to invite them to an upcoming NHS careers event.
5. Finally – using the data in Track – the school analyses the impact of events on student preferences and engagement, including that of priority and target groups.
“Start can be accessed from anywhere, it’s really easy to use and great
for students to generate and research ideas”
Careers Adviser at Ecclesfield School